Thursday, March 01, 2012

Pop Culture Knowledge or My Lack Thereof

For me it is the other way around. I have no idea about the American pop culture "characters" mentioned with out googling I have to have to assume they are made up names.

These are my guess for the meanings of the names/nonsense terms mentioned in panels 3-6.
  • Tiger Woods: Protected forest game reserve with large cats, usually tigers. As opposed to Lion Veldts, protected grassland game reserve with large cats, usually lions.
  • Snooki: Common name for a toy poodle.
  • LeBron: Brand of baby shoe. Name derived from the concept of bronzing shoes, the "ze" was dropped and the "le" added for some sort of pseudo foreignness, see Häagen-Dazs. 
  • Lady Gaga: Childhood nickname of some aristocrat.
The cartoon is by Jen Sorensen, her weekly comic is Slow Poke.

No comments: